Thursday, February 1, 2018

Request For Rice

As I was packing up in the dark and getting ready to leave on my motorbike the groom called out to me from the dark. He and his wife (the bride) came up to me, he asked me for RICE. He showed me his wife's belly, she is pregnant again (I had not noticed earlier). This will be their 3rd child, they have a boy "Chemeeko" and a young girl.

I was sort of tired and did not want to talk any more but his manner and request changed my selfish feelings immediately. He was very sincere and soft in his speech. He waied me repeatedly (4 or 5 times) and simply asked if I could bring rice for him and his pregnant wife. I thought of what my father always said when he worried about children "Why do people make babies if they can't take care of them?". That is not something for me to judge, family, the love of family is basically all these people have, to deny them that would make life unbearable for them. So the make new children and try their best to take care of them. I will also do my best for them.

I was planning to take tomorrow off, but will not not. I will go buy rice for the grooms family and the other 2 houses next to theirs. Rice is so damn heavy, not too expensive but a bitch to transport. Tomorrow I will be loaded down with camera gear, my normal boots and headlamps as well as my camera gear. Maybe I can go without the boots  to lighten the load a bit.

I will need to get up early, wash my clothes and go shopping for the rice sometime during the day. I will try to buy larger bags x 3. Another long day ahead tomorrow, better eat, and starving, and get to bed.