Saturday, February 17, 2018

Photo Story: Lollipop Girls

from Facebook....


The 2 young girls on the right are eating donated lollipops (suckers). The girl in pink is also I think wearing donated boots, not sure about the headlamps. This picture was made soon after the initial swarm of people that approach me (many children) each night when I first arrive at the dump. Every night it is 15-20 minutes of "Gerry, Mee Goh" (headlamp in Burmese) Gerry Shoes" ( or Gerry Bun Nuk - shoes in Burmese, Long Tao - shoes in Thai), the kids usually call out "Gerry Mama!" or "Gerry Solo!" The rest of the night people often approach me and ask me to bring something the next day, boots, headlamps, medicines, notebooks etc.

So after the swarm, things settled down and the space in front of me cleared out allowing for some photos. The area in the photograph is a main gathering point where people wait for the garbage trucks.

Girls with lollipops from last nights phtoos