Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Coughing Baby, Alone In The Darkness Of The Dump

I will take away one very strong memory from this trip back with me to Canada. It will be the sound of a coughing baby in the dark. I had photographed the large new family in the dump for quite long time. Later after a garbage truck came back I went to photograph their dump shelter from below in total darkness, a 30 second exposure. While I was making the picture I heard a cough. I turned my flashlight on to look up the hill of garbage to the shelter and saw the young 2 year old baby of the family looking back down at me from the darkness, then he coughed again.

Fuck!...The baby had been left in the care of 2 young children from the family as the parents and older children worked the garbage. The two young babysitters were sleeping and the baby looked at me alone out of the dark with frightened eyes and then coughed again.

I made some pictures from quite far away so as not to disturb him further. What a terrible thing this was, a sick 2 year child left in the dark, protected only by sleeping children. The parents desperate to make money for the family, all working.

I live my life of luxury buying my camera toys, eating the worlds best foods and getting fat. I can do anything, chase most any dream, travel the world, live a life of fun and excitement. This child has almost no opportunities, no chance at achieving dreams. Will he even have dreams? Dreams are the luxury of the rich.  He has nothing, nothing now, and probably nothing in the future.

Note* When the parents came back from working nearby, they hugged and played with the baby boy, The mother gave him her breast and held him closely. The parents obviously  love and protect their children as best they can.

Note** The only light on the baby is from my flashlight.

Coughing baby, alone in the darkness of the dump