Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Priztdorff Is Very Light, Weight Weight Weight, In Cameras And Holders

One thing that makes this 2 format camera ideal for travel and shooting in places like the dump is it ultralight build! I can carry the Pritzdorff quite easily over my shoulder or in a camera bag on a motorbike. In the past I have shot my much heavier 4x5 and 5x7 Linhof camera in Asia. They are certainly more durable tools but having both 4x5 and 5x7 formats in a lighter package has to be a major positive. When I run out of one type film in the field I can go to the second format and keep shooting on long working days. Less weight to carry means I can work extended periods with less fatigue.

I have also noticed that the wood holders included in the auction are lighter than the plastic ones (just realized that today). Should I go with wooden  5x7 and 8x10 holders? The loss of weight would be a major benefit, but are they reliable? With 4x5 I will be using the 6 sheet Grafmatic backs. Will wooden holders be affected by the humidity? So much to factor in to all this film shooting. Oh yeah I was also going to make a documentary film while there!! :))