Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Bought Me A - Korona 5x7 Wooden Camera with Ilex Paragon 8 1/2'' f4.5 Lens

Picked up this old model, great condition Korono 5x7 camera, with extras. The camera has both 4x5 and 5x7 backs and a lens included and an older lens with shutter (some fungus and haze in it). I want to use this camera for learning wet plate, and making smaller plates after I become proficient at the process. I will do the 4x5 plates(tin-glass) in a adapted Graflex Graphic model 1234 pack film holder and the 5x7 wet plate work possibly with a Chamonix wet plate holder. Here are some photos of this wonderful new tool in my extensive camera toolbox.

The Korona is my first wooden field camera in the 4x5 or 5x7 formats. The camera should add significance to the creation of the wet plate images. If I do artist talks of the work in the future, I can also tell stories about this old Korona camera and its history. Creating ambrotypes and tintypes with historic tools seems so right.

Adapting #1 Graflex 1234 Pack Film Holder
Adapting #2 Graflex 1234 Pack Film Holder

Korona 5x7 Wooden Camera with Ilex Paragon 8 1/2'' f4.5 Lens