Monday, February 20, 2017

I Love The Look-Feel Of 35mm Tri-x

Spending time with the dad print this morning (see previous blog) has gotten me excited about shooting 35mm Tri-x again. Even when printed large like this (20x24 inches) the images have a feel, clarity along with grain and contrast range that is unique in art.

I will shoot 35mm extensively during my 6 month trip for this reason. My current plan is to take a R6 Leica SLR with 60mm f2.8 macro lens (possibly the R 24mm f2.8 lens as well) and a rangefinder M6 with 35mm f1.4 (possibly a wide angle 21mm as well). Using these Leica cameras in the dump and elsewhere is a sheer joy. Sometimes I shoot poorly when doing 35mm, I will have to be more careful this next trip. Choose my compositions, shooting situations and shot choices very carefully. If 35mm Tri-x is good enough for W. Eugene Smith and Sebastiao Salgado, it is good enough for Mr. Yaum!

My thinking is I will take along 30 or so rolls of bulk Tri-x as well as 5 or 6 canisters of 100 foot Tri-x and a bulk film loader. I can put the exposed film in the metal cans then reseal them, and use the now empty 35mm cartridges to reload fresh film. This takes more time in the field (I have 6 months) but cuts down on overall weight (cartridges are heavy). You end up loading film after a hard days shooting, but such is life, it has to be done to save money and weight. I believe it is overall lighter to do the 35mm bulk film this way. The other advantage is that you have less of the accidental opening of 35mm film cartridges when it is stored, causing film fog and lost shots. I can safely seal all exposed film up in black plastic bags and mental Kodak canisters with duct tape after they have been shot. Then store everything in my rooms refrigerator to fight off the heat and humidity of Asia. The 100 foot metal Tri-x film canisters also take up less room when traveling or or the aforementioned fridge.

Update* I will need two types of storage cans at all times. One can for Tri-x exposed at 200ASA and 1 can for film exposed at 1600ASA. These two types of exposed films will of course receive different development times-types on my return to Canada. The 1600 receives a special type of STAND development in Rodinal that allows for successful pushing of the film.