Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Documentary Film: Movie Making, How The F-ck Do You Do That?

First day off work tonight. Am laying here thinking about the coming "Film". Am writing some notes, trying to figure out how to do all of this. The tech part is just studying and practicing, so I can do that but how the hell do you tell a story on film? How the hell do I transition from a still photographer to a filmmaker? This is whole different game I am trying to play.

I spent the work week between security stuff learning more about recording audio, doing on camera interviews, lighting, using a cheap gyro type steady cam etc. YouTube is filled with how to videos, and people reaching out to help you. All that tech stuff can be learned and with some practice and gear buys I can get that done. This whole story telling thing is another ball of wax thou. I need to watch lots of documentaries really need to learn from them. I need to learn how to tell stories on film. I think that will be the biggest reason why this project works or fails. Can Mr. Yaum tell a story on film?

What makes a good doc? And or average or bad doc? Is it  the story? Is it the filmmakers skills? Humor? Pathos? Editing? Compelling characters? Shocking audio and video? Emotional impact? All of the above?

I feel like I have jumped into the deep end of the pool here and only know how to doggy paddle.