Thursday, November 17, 2016

Bought Me A Rode NTG2 Shotgun Microphone

Bought a used Rode NTG2 shotgun mike today for $178 USD plus shipping. It seems to be in excellent LIKE NEW condition and comes with all the proper accessories including a wind sock that would cost around $40 USD (with shipping) if sold seperately. A new version of this microphone retails around $269 USD. I hope to use it on camera as a general microphone and for interviews on a boom over the subjects head. For all the in studio interviews I can mike myself with a lavaliere and mike the subject with this shotgun microphone (out of frame, out of sight). During my online video/audio studies I have learned that this microphone is highly regarded and is considered a work horse type tool. The version 3 is supposedly slightly better but also cost upwards of $525 USD. Will stick with the cheaper version for now. I am trying to cut down my costs by buying used gear and lower end pro stuff. Hopefully these tools will still record first class audio and video.

Update* Gosh doing on camera video interviews, that will be a different experience!
Update** I also picked up a 33 foot female-male XLR cable as well as a cheap smallish boom type microphone stand that might work for me. Will do some practise interviews with this gear when I recieve the gear in 3 or 4 weeks time. I need to be well versed in how to do everything before I get to Asia.

My new USED Rode NTG2 shotgun microphone