Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Old Is New Again! Back Listening To LPs

Got my record player-turntable today, just hooked it up and it sounds wonderful. I am playing some classical music (Beethoven) I got at the Good Will store for a few dollars. I will now be able to spend hours and hours listening and printing in the darkroom. My turntable is a Denon DP-300F, I got it off Amazon for $369.99 CAD with free shipping.

Music is such a wonderful art form, ranks just below the visual arts in my personal scale of things. I can't wait to listen to 20 inches of recently purchased albums. I  bought them at Goodwill, various pawn shops, Value Village and the like for 50 cents to $4 for an album. I also have a bunch of old records (if I can find them) I want to re-hear again including such diverse artists as Bronski Beat and BB King in concert. When Dupree's jazz album comes in the mail soon I can immediately hear it. This is going to be FUN!

How long will  this machine last before breaking down? Hopefully 10 years+. So much joy will be had in the dark, listening to music and printing photographs. Memories flowing freely, feelings overwhelming me. I will dance and sing and swear and scream. What joy! Such is the darkroom world to me.

"Ain't Life Grand!"

Note* Originally I planned on getting a cheaper model turntable for around $150. I cancelled that order and paid about 2 times that price to get this Denon. It is not up to a audiophiles need level but this machine should work well for me.

Update** I now feel LPs do sound better than CDs and certainly way better than MP3s or cassettes.

Denon DP-300F