Monday, September 12, 2016

HOO, HOO, HOO!! - We Are "OWL"

Had a great meeting tonight with the boys from my photo group "owl". Yes we finally decided on a name. We wanted something simple and unpretentious. The intelligent, big eyed, all seeing, all hearing hunter  "THE OWL" came up (thanks Jan) so we went with that.  I wanted to stay away from pretentious (we are so important) word play when using words like Guild or Collective in the name. I argued we keep away from such SILLINESS and POMPOSITY! "owl" (small text) has no literal meaning, it is what it is, it is our group of photographers, nuff said on that. We are "owl".

There will be an "Instagram" page set up in the future under a name connected to "owl", the term will also be in all our hash tags. Me being the social media great that I am, I learned what "HASHTAGS" are tonight!

A fun meeting tonight, 7 guys attended and it was hosted at the Derrick Country Club on the South side of the city (a very nice place0. We projected and spoke about images from a major project, photographing various neighborhood's in the city. This first area chosen was around 118ave.  It is nice hanging with these guys, were looking to get some ladies into the group. All the members are very serious about their photography and we sort of feed off each others passion.

Cool note of the night I learned of a boxing gym that is located on 118 ave. Dan one of are members told me about it. I might try to photograph in the gym at some future date. The place is called the "Avenue Boxing Club".

My photos from the first joint project are below. Tech note, Canon 5D Mark II.