Friday, August 12, 2016

Mobile Wet Plate, Film Darkroom What Type?

Been going over and over in my head what type of mobile wet plate/film darkroom I can put together for the proposed "Oh! Canada!" project. Here are the 3 types I am considering and what might their advantages and disadvantages.

Cube Van


Advantages
- Extreme mobility, I could pull a camping trailer behind it, park the trailer in a campground and go anywhere to make wet plate.

- I could take the vehicle out for the day from my house by itself making wet plate, quick and easy. No hooking up and hauling a trailer around.

-I could use the roof of the vehicle to get a higher shooting vantage point which could be very important. Sometimes getting up higher is key to a composition, just ask Ansel Adams and Edward Burtynsky!

- A very strong and tough option, thou I would have to carry extra spare tires (possibly extra gasoline) and have a strong reliable engine to allow me to haul a  camping trailer.

- I would be able to take my expensive cameras and lens with me where ever I drove, which might reduce the chance of theft somewhat.

Disadvantages
 - Cost, cost, cost. By far the most expensive option. There would also be the additional high insurance costs. Probably $10000 to $20000 CAD (used) for something half decent and not too old.

- More difficult to climb in and out of. As I become older and more decrepit, I will have more difficulty carrying gear and wet plate holders in and out of this unit. There is usually also a small sliding door inside the cab between the seat, might be able to use that.

- Driving with all the chemicals, smells etc directly behind you, safe?, unpleasant?

Cargo Trailer




Advantages
- Price more reasonable at $4000 to $8000 CAD (new).
- Strong reliable units, that can go in all types of terrain.

Disadvantages
- You need some kind of truck (preferably a 3/4 ton) or larger motor home to all these things, rather big and somewhat heavy.  

  Camping Trailer



Advantages
- Older trailers can be gotten cheap used, under $1000 CAD.
- They have running water-piping-pumps inside which I could hook up to a darkroom sink.
- They seem more comfy-cosy to me.

Disadvantages
 - How reliable would they be? Those old axles, old wheels, old everything up on some dirt track near Inuvik? Break downs seem inevitable.
- More difficult to convert, I am not much of a handyman but would need to be one to make one of these units into a viable mobile darkroom.
- Would need a good heavy duty truck with a camper to haul the trailer.

Update* Spoke to the mechanic guy at the plant where I work. Asked him about what size engine he would recommend for hauling all these trailers and such around Canada. He recommended a gas automatic with a V8 engine, less than 7 years old. I will try to follow his advice, I know almost nothing about cars/trucks and engines best to listen to the experts. I have always been more of a camera dude than a car dude!: ))