Sunday, August 7, 2016

Double Tripod On "May Lee"

After I did my darkroom redo today I set up "May Lee" my 16x20 camera with 2 tripods, the Ilex Process Lens, and the new 16x20 wet plate holder. Everything seems quite solid so I will probably go with a set up something like this. In this configuration I have the smaller Reie's tripod and head on the back of the camera with a Chinese carbon fibre plus large ball head on the front of the camera. I later removed the ball head entirely and placed only the carbon fibre legs up front which proved easier to set up and much more solid (less moving pieces). I think this double tripod set up should work fine. I do not think it is necessary to buy a bigger Reis tripod or the large giant Gizo carbon fibre. This tripod set up should work fine until I move up (if I move up) to the 24x32 Chamonix wet plate.

Note* With Chamonix ULF cameras you can even mount 3 tripods, a third tripod could be added directly under the lens when you have the bellows fully extended.
Note** The Ries A100 tripod is rated to 33lbs which should be fine on its own (camera folk have told me so). I think thou a second tripod is a good idea, it will add stability in the field. Especially in the wind if the bellows is extended. The one thing I might change out is the rear Ries head which is not as strong as the tripod, I might upgrade that.

Double tripod with "May Lee" Front Viewq
Ilex 21 inch F10 Process lens mounted to "May Lee"
Double tripod side view