Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Bought Me A Canon 5D Mark 3

Bought a used Canon 5D Mark 3 from my friend Larry, he is moving up to a Canon 5D Mark 4 ($4500). Larry takes great care of his equipment and sold me his Mark 3 for a very good price of $1400 CAD. That price is about $ 500/$1000 cheaper than many more used Mark 3 bodies go for. I now have a Mark 3 and Mark 2. The Mark 3 does  much better in low light so I think it is worth the expense. I want to try to use it to do an available light colour series next trip. Larry is a great photographer, maybe some of that greatness will run in my direction when I use his gear. :))

Note* The Mark 3 is also much better at doing video, so that might also be an option for me. Can I use this camera instead of still to be purchased Canon C100 ($2500 USD) to do a documentary film on Fred at the dump? I know the video/sound functions on the Mark 3 will be not as flexible and high end but it would be quite a bit cheaper and may be good enough for my limited skills and needs. I had planned to buy the C100 earlier but the deal fell through so am still open to what camera I will use.

Update** Think this will be the end of my purchases for a while, been spending too much money. I have much of my wet plate gear now, probably have my documentary movie camera and have all kinds of new ULF cameras and lens. Lets start saving again! My next trip, will be in early 2017, not sure exactly where just yet. I need to save some money to MAKE pictures again instead of just buying more and more gear.

Canon 5D Mark 3