Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Bought A Linhof 8x10 Tripod

Not sure I need yet another tripod but this one seems to fit a need at a cheaper price. It is made by Linhof which only makes quality gear. The tripod (Special Geared Center-Post Tripod Model IV), is metal with a geared centre post (very important for portraits).

My Gitzo carbon fibre tripod is a bit maxed out when I go larger than 5x7 with it. I hope this tripod will work well with my 8x10 cameras. Maybe I can use it in when I shoot dads 8x10 Deardorff in Canada and elsewhere. This tripod dates back to the 1950s and looks VERY tough. Tough and reliable is what I need when I am shooting in far off lands (Inuvik Northwest Territories Canada, Mae Sot Thailand). Am a bit worried about the weight, hopefully it will not be too much to handle.

The seller wanted $199 USD, I offered $150 and was accepted. The cost of shipping is high (heavy) cost $93 via USPS postal mail.

Note* Can I use this with my 11x14 camera? Or will I be using the also newly bought wooden Reis A-100.
Note** If this tropd is too heavy to carry in the field in hot enviroments like Thailand I will use it out of my vehicle in Canada and possibly as a back up for the "Oh! Canada!" project. I will need good realiable back up units for that project.
Note*** The tripod is 17 lbs, 37 inches closed and can be raised to a total 72 inches with a 20 inch center column.
Note*** I wonder if I can use this tripod as a digital video camera tripod as well. I could put on a fluid head of some kind and use it  when doing interviews (one tripod for 2 purposes). The Linhof Special Geared Center-Post Tripod Model IV was designed for both film cameras and heavier movie (film) camera.

Linhof heavy duty Munchen 8x10 tripod