Tuesday, July 5, 2016

PRIDE Photo Award Submission

Spent the last several hours scanning and editing old 8x10 negs from the sex worker on white series. I wanted to enter them into a contest I was contacted about a while back. Was told one of their PHOTO SCOUTS spotted my work (true?). This contest seems like the real deal, no PURCHASE to enter your work fees etc. It is called PRIDE and deals with themes related to LGBT life, rights and art speaking to the difficulties, joys, experiences of people in that community.

Not sure how my sex worker images will be received by the pro judges (photo editors from the New York Times etc.) going through the submissions. Last year they had something like 350+ artists submit work. If any of the photos do get shown I would make a trip to Amsterdam, a place I always wanted to go. In Amsterdam they have the Rembrandt and Van Gogh Museums! So much beauty, greatness and feeling there. I would spend days in each museum. Heck I might go even if this submission falls on its ass.

Anyway here are some of the pics from my modest submission. I uploaded 20 photos into their SERIES category, titled "Thai Sex Worker" and "Thai Sex Worker #2".
https://www.pridephotoaward.org/

Update* There is also a big write up on Toronto's "Stephen Bulger Gallery Blog", guess this thing is quite a big deal. The deadline is 4pm mountain time, give it a try!
http://bulgergallery.blogspot.ca/2016/05/pride-photo-award-calling-for-entries.html

Update* Last years contest (this is #6) had 3600 entries, from 396 artists in 60 countries, WOW!

Chi 33
Apple 22
Bee 28
Betty 28
Gai 36
Noi 29