Saturday, July 16, 2016

Bought Me A Wooden Ries Tripod

I bought a wooden A100 Ries tripod with J200 head today. The package also included a mint Mamiya RZ67 Pro II camera with 110mm lens. I always wanted a RZ (have 2-RBs) but never bought one before. Probably did not need this camera but heck for what I paid for it is a nice addition. It is kind of cool to finally own one of these things. The first RB I got years ago was a gift from my father. I will always remember him buying that for me, what a great generous father.With this purchase I was only interested in the Tripod, but the camera happened to be attached to it! So I got that too.

The A100 Ries tripod is only listed at 35lbs (the weight of my 16x20 alone) but I have been told that the tripod can carry more than that weight effectly. The J-200 head is rated to only 16lbs. Not 100% sure this smaller tripod and head will work for my Chamonix camera but it could work. I might have been better off with the larger A100-2 and the a-250 2 head. Will see what happens?? The other thing to remember is that I will be using 2 tripods in my 16x20 camera set up, so maybe this tripod/head combo working in conjuction with a second tripod will be OK.

Cost of this supposed mint gear purchase was $1248 USD. A new Ries tripod and head would cost $1000 USD so I basically got the camera body, film back and lens for $248 USD, not that bad at all. If I find the A100 tripod and J200 head are too small for my big May Lee 16x20 I will use this gear for the front standard tripod and buy a second larger A100-2 and A250-2 head for the back heavier weighted part of the camera.

Note* The RZ67 was photogapher Annie Leibowitz's favourite tool for many years.
Note** Most decent condition  RZ67 Pro II with 110mm lens seem to sell for around $600-830 USD on eBay now. Hopefully the one I bought as a SIDE EFFECT is in MINT condition as promised.

Update*  I wonder what I could do with this camera in the dump? The camera would be heavy and awkward to carry but would also allow a 6x7 negative and very easy up close (bellows) focusing. The RZ cameras are very well built professional tank type things with sharp lens. Not sure how they do handheld, I need to use a tripod with my RBs.
Update** I just learned I can use all my RB lens with this RZ so no need to buy more lens as I have a wide angle and telephoto already.
Update*** I bought a second 120mm film back for this camera, cost a cheap $55 USD. Two backs will probably be enough for me to shoot fluidly thou if I can get a third cheaply it might be worth buying. I am considering whether to buy the prism finder (meter), will think that over, they cost around $250 USD. Leaning towards a no on that one (to much weight).
Update**** I thought of another 2 tripod option for the 16x20 if this Ries tripod is a bit too small. I put the A100 on the front standard and get a non giant (shorter) large Gitzo carbon fiber tripod for the year. This might be my best and lightest option. The camera would be locked in place, super solid like!


My new RZ67 and Ries wooden A-100 tripod with J-200 head