Monday, July 4, 2016

Bought Me A 600mm Fujinon F11.5 Lens

Well minutes after I purchased the 600mm Rodenstock listed below I realized a new listing for a Fujinon C 600mm F11.5 was put on eBay. The seller "David" of the Rodenstock very graciously (without me asking) allowed me to back out of the Rodenstock deal and refunded all of my money. A great guy, thank you so much. I then purchased the Fuji below.  This was a very tough decision the Fujinon cost $950 more, the overall price was a very expensive $2400 USD plus shipping. This should become my main lens for both the 16x20 and a possible future 20x24/24x24 camera.

 I thought it was a better buy for the following reasons.

- HUGE 620mm image circle, allowing me to use it with a 24x24 wet plate Chamonix camera if I buy one and allowing for plenty of movements with my 16x20 (do you do many movements in ULF?).
- Lightweight, this lens is much lighter. I might be using this lens all over Canada and Asia, so lighter is obviously better.
- A modern shutter. The shutter on the Rodenstock was perfectly fine and would have worked well but the modern Copal #3 on the Rodenstock allows for faster shutter speeds and is probably more reliable over the long run. I might be using this lens for 20+ years I need something I can rely on.
- The lens is  multicoated which should be better for contrast and flare.
- Because this lens is physically smaller I should be able to use it with my 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cameras. I do not think I could have done that with the much larger shuttered Rodenstock. A 600mm lens on my 4x5 gear could be a real benefit.
- The lens also takes standard 67mm filters. I can use all my existing Hoya filters with it.
- About 2 weeks ago I had offered a Japanese seller of this same lens $3300 USD, he turned me down and wanted a minimum of $3500 USD. He kept telling me how RARE the lens is etc. So paying $2400 USD seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

On the downside, the Fujinon is a f 11.5 versus the Rodenstocks F9 so focusing will be a bit more difficult, as there will be less light. The Fuji also cost $950 USD more, always a problem on a security guards salary. I kind of like the history of the Rodenstock as well. Wish I could shoot both lens. I hope I did not make a mistake here!

My new/used Fujinon C 600mm F11.5 lens