Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Quotes: Edward G Robinson

"I have not collected art. Art collected me. I never found paintings. They found me. I have never even owned a work of art. They owned me."

"Ah yes, I remember well what it was like to be a true collector, that soft explosion in the heart, that thundering inner "Yes!" when you see something you must have or die. For over 30 years I made periodic visits to Renoir's "Luncheon of the Boating Party" in a Washington museum, and stood before that magnificent masterpiece hour after hour, day after day, plotting ways to steal it."

"Acting and painting have much in common. You begin with the external appearance and then strip away the layers to get to the essential core. This is reality and that is how an artist achieves truth. When you are acting, you are playing a part, you are being somebody else. You are also, at the same time, being yourself."

"Paintings never really belong to one of us. If we are fortunate, as I have been, we are allowed at most a lovely time of custody."