Saturday, June 25, 2016

Bought A Huge 42 Inch (1066mm) Process Lens

Got me a huge, expensive somewhat rare process lens (no shutter) today that will cover 20x24 and larger. The lens is a  Goerz Apochromat Artar Red Dot 42 inch (1066mm) F 14 in like new condition. I paid top dollar for this lens, $1255 USD with an additional $130 USD for shipping and duty. That is a ton of money for a lens without a shutter but the coverage of this thing is amazing. I will have lots of movement possibilities with the 16x20 and it would even work if I shot 20x24 some day (a possibility).

I am happy I have my first true ULF lens, will look to get me a 24 inch or 30 inch Goerz Artar Red Dot in the future. This lens came out of an estate sale. Seems to be another one of those cases where top notch camera gear was not used but instead was gazed at with awe, reverently from a distance. What a waste!! Time to take this sucker out if it's fancy dancy box and try and make some important photos with it. Finally this thing will be used as it was it intended, it will hopefully fulfill its creative destiny! Slum project photos? Buddhism project images ("In Buddha's Path")?  Portraits? I feel happy I now have a high end lens for my 16x20 Chamonix camera, May Lee. The purchase price is difficult to handle but somehow the lens feels just right, this is going to turn out great!


Note* SK Grimes can put this lens into an older Ilex #5 shutter (I think you lose a stop when you do the install). I would have to buy the shutter for another $300+ USD. The machining and work to place the lens in the shutter  would cost upwards of $850 USD.  So were looking at an additional $1200-$1400 USD to add a shutter.

I will start out by using this lens for wetplate work and film photography requiring long exposures of 5-10-20+ seconds. The shutter will be the lens cap, like in olden times. Later on I might upgrade it with the Ilex #5 shutter. This is a huge piece of glass, I wonder how much it weighs?

Note** A lens like this will probably hold its resale value, so that is a nice bonus.
Note ** These Red Dot Artar Apochromat Goerz lens are highly prized by ULF photographers. The auction for this lens had a bit of a feeding frenzy feel with a large group of bidders. There were 53 total bids.

Update** After emailing SK Grimes I learned the cost of the shutter install might be a bit cheaper. I will also get a modified filter attachment done to the lens. I first need to find me a Ilex #5 shutter in good condition before I can send the everything down.

You lose 1 1/2 stops when you do the shutter install. That will make the lens a f16 1/2? something like that, hope its not to dark to compose and focus! Most exposures will no doubt be shot at f45 or smaller (never shot at f128 before!). I will need as much light as possible for composing and focusing the image, a bit worried by f 16/12. ULF is definitely going to be a major challenge. Gosh thou, this is fun! I am so happy I bought my beautiful May Lee (16x20 Chamonix).