Sunday, May 8, 2016

Saying Goodbye

Been telling people over the last few days that tomorrow will be my last day in the dump. I will then go to Bangkok and a few days later to Canada. Am not sure everyone understands me but I believe most do. I have become close to many of the folks here that I hate to leave them. I guess you can only do so much, then its time to go back to your real life. Being with them now, making their photos and just talking is so easy, everything flows so well. I have joined their family am not so much an outsider anymore.

I continue to have these rather bizarre conversations where the other person speaks Burmese to me, had that happen 2 times today. I also had several conversations in Thai which at least are two way things. People want to share their stories, share their lives with me. I need to learn more Burmese. It has slowly improved, bit by bit. I need to try and learn so much more when I return to Canada.

Saying goodbye to my friends is hard. Being in the dump thou is so much harder, I come back most days totally spent, wasted and tired out. My shower and A/C room are something I look so forward to each day. How do the people in the dump continue to live in that world hour by hour, day after day, month by month? They have no real showers, no a/c, no privacy, no toilets, no clean sheets or clean rooms to lay in. Everyday they have only the stink of the garbage, the buzzing of the flies and that incredible shearing never ending heat!!