Sunday, May 8, 2016

$500 Donation To Eyestoburma.org

Have decided to give a $522 CAD donation to eyestoburma.org, Fred S's organization. Fred is a tough crusty old guy who works his tail off for the people at the dump. His whole life revolves 24/7 on ways to improve the lives of the people here. He is building new housing, providing for the children's schooling, getting folks work in a new factory on the site (paying 200 baht a day) and helping in countless other ways. Giving the money to him will allow the money go directly back into the community in a positive way while not losing anything to corruption and waste. Donating the money to Fred will ensure that the families will benefit. It is simply the right thing to do.

Yesterday evening I sat and spoke to Fred for 45 minutes or so and came away with a greater understanding of his devotion. He has invested large amounts of his own money, has fought for the rights of those in the dump and has even delivered babies in his work truck. Fred is constantly on call. If there is an emergency at the dump Fred's number is called anytime of the day or night. He is basically the dumps version of 911. What I am doing is entirely minor league compared to Fred's amazing efforts and accomplishments.

I was at first unsure about giving 1/2 of the overall donation money to him but after seeing him in the dump at least a dozen times working over the last 3 years, I know he practises what he preaches. I have seen him out there day in and day out working to help the families. I know that giving the money is the right thing to do. Fred will use my donated funds to help buy school uniforms (each student requires 3 sets) for the new dump children. If anything is left over I trust him to use it wisely.

Not sure of my final donation number, I believe I spent $550 plus CAD in various ways, and now with this $522 the money I brought with me to give to the families is gone. I will be able to get a more accurate number when I add everything up in the coming days.