Sunday, April 10, 2016

Whats With All The Yelling?

As the years pass and my visits continue. I have come to know more and more people in the dump and am more trusted now. I have noticed a change. My first trips to the dump, everyone was sort of quiet with me, they sort of warily watched me from a distance. Lately I have had lots of older woman yelling at me. I cannot speak Burmese or the various dialects but I think the yelling is a friendly thing. A cultural way to push and tease-joke. Quite often I seem to be the center of attention (even though I try to avoid it) with a group of ladies speaking very directly at me, usually to the amusement of their friends. I will be walking about making pics when all of a sudden a lady 40+ (younger girls too shy) will stare at me and start speaking loudly, almost yelling. This has happened dozens of times over the last 15 or so dump visits.

I need to learn me some Burmese so I can figure out what the heck is going on. I think I am part of the family now or at least a bit closer.