Sunday, April 24, 2016

Italian People

I have noticed a big change in the way the Italian people are in public versus the German speaking peoples I met in Germany and Austria.  This is from a very small sampling and only a few days of experience here and there but Italians seem much more outgoing. The Italian people I have met are polite and emotional. Load laughing and speaking in the streets both happy and angry you find everywhere.

Today as I was running to catch a boat bus to take me from the island I was staying at to the Train station on another island, I got locked out. I just missed the boat and was tuned back with a chain, the next boat came in 20 minutes. The Italian man I was with started angrily speaking out, almost yelling in Italian at the boat worker who did this, even as the boat bus sailed away and was out of hearing range he continued to complain in a load vocal (beautiful sounding) Italian!

That is something II have noticed everywhere here, load vocals from the locals, often accompanied by grand gestures with hands and arms. Back in Canada I have an Italian neighbor and I often here him complaining and yelling with his wife. Now I get that behavior more, I hear that everywhere from most everyone here. It must be part of the culture, part of the norm here.