Sunday, April 17, 2016

Intrduction "Forgotten Laughter" Email

I cleaned up and rewrote the introduction to "Forgotten Laughter" email. Here it is:


 I am sending you this email for two reasons. One to make you aware of my social documentary photographic project "Forgotten Laughter: The Families Of The Mae Sot a Garbage Dump" and two to ask if the ------------ and consider showing social documentary style work. I a film photographer using large format cameras etc. Is documentary photographs detailing the human condition acceptable for the gallery?

Here are more details myself and on the project, please advise if you think I should move forward with a formal submission.

My name is Gerry. I am Edmonton born and raised and have my home there. I am writing you from MAE SOT THAILAND.

I am currently working on a documentary project "Forgotten Laughter: The Families Of The Mae Sot a Garbage Dump" which deals with Burmese refugee families living and working in the garbage dump here. They survive by scavenging off the dumps refuge. I have been photographing here for 3 years off and on and want to tell this story back home to the people back home.

The idea would be to show large traditional fiber b/w photographs along with video shot at the dump (and in the people's homes), excerpts from a heartfelt written diary (my online blog) and found objects taken directly from the garbage dump back to Canada. I want to exhibit all these parts together to really bring home the life the people (my friends) live here in the Mae Sot Thailand dump. I want the gallery viewer to really understand their existence in the dump, through the visuals both stills and video, though personal first person written blog excerpts and even through the smells and feel (touching) found dump items. I want the viewers experience to be hard hitting, memorable and true.

Here are some links:
my blog with many stories
www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com
Video of life here at the dump
https://vimeo.com/116513737
YouTube channel
https://m.youtube.com/user/gerryyaum/videos
More photo look under Galleries, Forgotten Laughter
http://gerryyaum.wix.com/photo

Thanks for your time, please advise if you think I should make a formal submission. I hope we work together to tell the families stories.