Tuesday, April 26, 2016

"David"

David took my breath away! He was so human, so bright and much larger than I thought (16 feet). When I entered and walked into the newly opened gallery at around 830am I made a right turn and there he was at the end of the room, lit by a large glass skylight. When I first saw him he surprised me, I let out an audible “Ohh!!” What a beauty he is, what an amazing and sublime creation, what a tribute to man. Michelangelo captured the feeling of beauty, youth, confidence and strength in the simple graceful nude form of this young man. They say he saw the figure in the stone before it was carved.

There were only a few people around him when I first saw "David", so we had a quiet moment together for the first 10 minutes or so. Michelangelo carved him from one piece of marble, incredible. I did not cry but did tear up a bit, it was a wonderful experience to spend some time with him. I visited the gallery for 1 hour 30 minutes before moving on to an exhibition of Jackson Pollock and other Modern Artists.