Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Am Speechless!!

A while back in October 2015 before I did my last trip to Thai and the "Families of the Dump" I sent a general email out to the people who work at my plant site in Edmonton, Canada. I work security nights at this plant and have been here close to 20 years. In that email I asked for some spare contactor hats. If the people had them could they please drop them off at security and I would take them to Thailand to Mae Sot and donate them to the families working the dump. I attached a few of my black and white documentary photos of the families in the dump from 2013. The email was a big hit and I ended up getting a ton of stuff.

- 5 pairs of used but good condtion steel toe rubber boots
- 120+ hats
- $480 in cash donations from 3 different people ( I had not asked for money they just gave it on their own!)

After I returned to Canada I sent another email out plant wide with photos and stories so everyone could see how the money was used. I wanted to show them the good they had done, I sent out pics of children in the dump wearing the plants hats, people holding bags with rubber boots etc. I also sent photos of the big donation at the local dump school and at the Mae La refugee camp. It was a win win thing for everyone involved, especially the families/children living in the dump.

So now lets fast forward to today. Last week just before I went on my week off I sent an email to one of the managers here on site. Earlier he had asked me to tell him when I was going back to Mae Sot again he wrote "I will get a few goodies together". I thought great he will put some t-shirts, some hats and the like in a bag for me and I can give those away when I return to the dump. Last week I sent him an email with the new details and the day I was leaving back to Thai.

Today I returned to work after my week off and checked my mail, this is what I found. This email was sent out to the entire plant.

G---- ------ is heading back to Mae Sot Thailand and the families in the dump on March -- th. He is planning on taking another 50 or so hats and some rubber boots etc.

I would like to do a little fund raiser on site. I am calling it "Hot Dogs for Hats". Maintenance will be cooking some hot dogs (with chilli etc.) for lunch on March 17th,  $5 for a hot dog or 3 for $10 with the proceeds going to buy hats, boots and maybe a few dollars for Gerald to by some goodies for the kids etc.

Please accept this invitation if you would like to buy a hot dog!


I was shocked. I am rather a private guy so having an email sent out plant wide using my name was a bit unnerving but gosh this is going to be wonderful, a fricking fundraiser! I have no idea how much money will be raised, I have no idea what to make of any of this, I know it is a good thing, maybe a great thing. Need time to digest this all, think it over. I will use the money in the best ways possible to help as many people as I can.

Who says that documentary photography cannot make a positive difference in peoples lives!! This all started with me wanting to make pictures in the dump after seeing a CNN story. Those intial photos I made in 2013, did have an impact, they did matter, they are making a difference. Step by step this has all lead to a small but positive change in the lives of many people, the"Families of the Dump". Not sure how much donation money will come out of this, but you got to love it!

"Ain't Photography Grand!!"

3 children in the dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2013
Self portrait with dump kids #1, Mae Sot Thailand 2015
Skyblue school donations, Mae Sot Thailand 2015

With the kids and their icecream at Skyblue school, Mae Sot Thailand 2015
Self portrait with dump kids #2, Mae Sot Thailand 2015