Sunday, February 21, 2016

Ries A100-2 Wooden Tripod?

Here is a Ries wooden tripod that can carry up to 66lbs, the model below this (A100) can do up to 35lbs. My Chamonix 16x20 weights $34lbs but I need to add the lens weight and the holder weight so the A100-2 sounds like the one I might eventually buy. This tripod weights 14lbs taking the grand total of camera and tripod to 48lbs, quite a bit. I still need to add the tripod head, lens (probably 1) and holders (probably 2-5). We will probably be looking at 80+ pounds before this is all done. I will need to hire people to help me (in Asia) and or develop a cart system of some kind.
Ries A100-2 Wooden Tripod
Other options a bit cheaper, last one has a centre post!:
Berlebach Wooden Tripod
Center Post Berlebach

Update* I have been looking at several Gitzo carbon fibre tripods. The Gitzo thou a bit more expensive seem the way to go. They fold up more compact, carry more weight and are less than half as heavy as the Ries/Berlebach wooden tripods. If I hope to travel extensively with my Chamonix 16x20 going with a 10lb+ lighter carbon fibre tripod that does as good maybe a better job, seems a no brainer.

This tripod and head from Gitzo (B&H free shipping) can handle a load of 55lbs, well above what I should need. The max I will be loading even with a big lens, high end tripod head and heavy film holder will probably be around 45-50lbs.
Gitzo Carbon Fibre Tripod, Head Package