Thursday, February 4, 2016

Bought A Camera!

I needed to get a replacement for my beat up Samsung digi camera. The Samsung was a good reliable camera but now it is showing its age. The Samsung often freezes up while shooting video and now does so after each still shot. The battery compartment needs to be duck taped shut, I damaged the door after dropping the camera last trip.

I did some research and the best digi point and shoot on the market now seems to be the  Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100. The camera is now in version IV and runs around $800 USD. I went back a bit and got a decent condition used II version for $281 USD on a second offer bid. Quite happy with that price, the camera is in 100% working condition. If I can get 3 solid years out of it before it breaks down, that's good enough for me.

I will use this new tool to do video in the dump and elsewhere as well as making quick digital photos that I can give out as gifts. It will also be my tourist shooting camera.

Update* Bought an off market extra battery for the camera as well as a 64GB SD card.

My old Samsung digi camera being used by a family in the dump to take a wedding photo
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II 20.2 MP