Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Visit From Dad

Among the 24 rolls of 35mm Tri-x I developed yesterday I found 6 negs of my father. These photos were made over 1 year ago in the summer months of 2014. It was strange and surprising to see my dads images along with the dump stuff. Am not sure how the film got mixed in or if I took a partial roll of dad photos to Thailand in a camera and then brought it back again to Canada. This photo was made as part of the series "My Fathers Last Days" which documented the last year of dads life as he fought pancreatic cancer. It was great to develop some film of my father again, to see him once more, even if it was only 6 shots.

I wish I could show him this photo and we could talk about things again. I miss speaking to him so much. Dad was not an educated person, he never had that opportunity but he was wise in so many ways. I so miss his common sense advise. I miss the sound of his voice and the quiet happy sometimes proud look he would give me. My life is so much less without my father to share it with. Nothing seems as important as before, it seems unreal now that I cannot tell dad about it.

Here is one of the found shots from last nights developing:

Dad the summer of 2014