Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Shooting The Dump At Night?

Tonight a new photo idea popped into my mind while I was doing my security rounds. What if I spent a night in the dump making photos with flash? I could rig up my Plaubel Makina 67 camera or the Rolleiflex with a flash then shoot at night as the people worked the garbage. I am assuming at least one family works all night because back in 2013 and this last trip when I arrive in the morning at around 615am their bags are full, they have small lights on their heads and they finish up at around 7am. What if I spent a night, or several nights photographing that family's work with a flash?

Not sure how possible this is, it might even be a tad spooky and dangerous but if people, including young children can work digging through garbage all night in that environment I am sure I can photograph. Most importantly I think it will place this story in a new and important light. It would give an added to dimension to how much the families go through, how hard they work, just to survive.

Maybe I could first start coming in around 415am, then eventually earlier and earlier. Back when I first started shooting in Thailand in 1999, I would usually stay up all night photographing freelance workers with flash on the streets of Sukhumvit road in Bangkok. I was able to do that, so why not this? My only concern is that my flash might disturb the people working, blind them. I would have to shoot selectively, and at the lowest power and largest f-stop I could manage. I would also have to set up a flashlight of my own on my head, or on the camera (both?) to help with focusing and protect me from falling on my silly ass!

Note* Might have to pay Khun Noy more money to drive me to the dump at these very weird hours.