Sunday, December 20, 2015

"Forgotten Laughter: The Children Of The Dump" Exhibition Ideas

Been thinking while I do my rounds tonight about the best way to present the show to galleries. I am currently thinking as follows:

- An artist statement short to the point. On the statement a light hearted color self portrait with the kids.
- A 10-20 minute video to be running continuously.
- Artifacts from the dump. I would have to gather them next trip as I have none now (feel bad I missed out on the panda puppet which was discarded).
- The main child portraits would all be Rolleiflex square format stuff, both close, mid range and full body. 10 to 20 photos printed large possibly 19x19 depending on the size and space of the gallery. Get new wooden white square frames to show the photographs.
- 5x7 dump shack landscapes without people (many shot already). These photos would also be printed large on 20x24 paper. I might be able to use the old white metal framing from the sex worker show a few years back at the VAAA. These pics would add context to the difficult living conditions and lives of the child portraits.
- a magazine or 2 of the work like I did last time using blurb.com
- sell a calender for $25 with all profits going to the families in the dump.

I think a show like this should be very attractive to both the viewer and the gallery. The combination of stills, video, books, calenders and a artist statement would communicate the message very well.