Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Exhibtion Artist Statement Photo Idea

Been thinking that I might use some of the recently posted selfies on my artist statements for future exhibitions ("Gai Chon", "Families of the Dump", "Forgotten Laughter: The Children of the Dump"). I did something similar for my most recent shows at the Louie Photography Gallery and the Rosebud show.

I think adding a pic of the photographer living in the enviroment he photographed and also including a bit of the location along with happy subjects, relates and humanizes everything nicely. The photos being color digi snapshots also I believe helps the viewer understand better and peaks interest in the show. The real life situations that the harsher, larger more extreme b/w documentary photographs were created in can sometimes be a bit overwhelming, including a lighter visual moment is a interesting positive for the viewer.. This relaxed, common type of photo in the statement makes everything seem less snobby, high brow, arty farty and more honest, down to earth and heartfelt.

A simple. straight forward, short and understandable artist statement, possibly with a poem and a location selfie seems just right. I feel going this way will help the viewer enjoy, relax and relate to the more serious photographs in the exhibition better. Plus it's fun to do! : )