Wednesday, November 18, 2015

An Opportuniy?

Today fate took a hand in my trip and gave me a potentially important opportunity. Back home in Canada I sent out dozens of emails trying to get access to the border Burmese ethnic group refugee camps. I was mostly ignored, those that did reply either riddled me with red tape or were encouraging but unhelpful.

Tonight by chance my regular Mae Sot restaurant table was occupied so I sat at the table next door. During the next 45 minutes I listened to a conversation between a American and a Karen man. Realizing the Karen person worked at Mae La refugee camp I could not let you he opportunity pass. Before I left I introduced myself and got their contact info. They were very friendly and said a day visit or overnight visit was possible! I plan on making a donation to the camp.

Sometimes luck is on your side! I will send out an email tonight to Mr. TT the Karen man who is helping me. It will be interesting to see where this chance meeting leads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_La_refugee_camp