Saturday, November 7, 2015

Drivers, Making Friends

Like many people I have always tried to follow the motto, treat others the same as you would like to be treated. I have always felt uncomfortable about treating those that serve as servants. This is a topic I have written about before, the idea that those with more dollars those with less as some how inferior, is repellant. Most people who do this are not aggressive in their negative treatment, it is usually simple small things like the lack of a tip, friendly word or smile. Most often it is simply ignoring that person exists. They rationalize their behaviour by saying things like "I am giving them a job".

The non interest of the server as an individual. Who are the people that are taking care of you? What is their story? Their background? Their family life? What makes them who the are? Many buyers could care less about the servers whose time they purchase. They pay their money and expect service, nothing else matter.

When you do care, when you do make an effort into learning about that other persons life you are usually rewarded in multiple ways. I had such an experience recently.

I was in a tourist rot doo (van) in Pattaya.The van driver sat up front separated from the rest of us, professional but distant. Because of a weird circumstance of 12 tourists changing their plans I had the chance to share a dinner with the drivers of the 2 vans that would not be used that day. I introduced myself to the drivers speaking Thai and asked the first driver his name (he was surprised), his name was Dong (Khun Dong). I did the same thing for the second driver who was named Ooh. Both men were asked to join in and share in the meal. Dong being younger jumped right in, Ooh being older and more cautious took some convincing but eventually relented.

We walked up the big glass door I opened it up and held it open for the two drivers behind me to walk through. Ooh smiled and said thank you in Thai, Dong smiled and started laughing when he saw me hold open the door for them. We walked into the fancy farang hotel and start eating. They were nervous uncomfortable, out of their element. I have often felt the same when I go to some snazzy event out of my weight class. We spoke in Thai to each other, I learned Ooh had been driving for 13-14 years and Dong for 4. The food was made for farang palettes so did not really excite the drivers but they ate. After the meal all the food and cola from a second table that also went un eaten was divvied up, some of which the drivers took home.

It was a nice meal shared by everyone as equals with pleasant conversion. Dong who is 26 with a Thai wife and 2 children (girl - boy) and I became quite friendly, even a bit like friends. After in the van ride home he started offering me things to do. He wa no longer shy and quiet but laughing and very vocal and animated as hr drove. He first offered to play Duh-Goh with him and hi friends (sort of  a volleyball played with the feet). Then he offered to get his brother to take me fishing with a net the next day. I was interested but unsure. The third option was Gai Chon (cockfighting, chicken boxing) which I jumped all over. This was a chance to make some good documentary photographs, of an important subject.

If any good photos came out of that days shooting if any important Gai Chon photographs are made in the future it is all the result of treating others as you want to be treated. Being a decent caring human being is rewarded time and again. Whether it is access to a documentary photographic situation or simply receiving a returned smile, doing the right thing, treating every human being as important and as an equal is the only way to go.