Monday, November 16, 2015

Barefoot Baby Girl

Today in the dump I photographed a young baby maybe 2-3 years old as she walked barefoot in the garbage. She looked so frail and vulnerable, my father would have been shocked and heartbroken to see her that way. My dad always worried about children whether it was my sister and I or others he would see in public or on TV. That is why I am dedicating my proposed book to him, the subject of children living in poverty was important to him.

I made several 35mm and several 120mm heads of the young girl. She was frightened of me but I tried to sooth her by speaking softly and making funny noises. Not sure she got much of what I was doing but she did not cry much.

This same child I might have photographed two years ago as a  newborn. I photographed a young baby and mother from that same family, this young girl might be that same baby. The grandmother from that family (a bit older than me) greeted me warmly today. Back in 2013 I made 2 or 3 donations of food to their home which is located just outside the dump. She was sick at that time but seems to have gotten better now. This family works very hard, even all the young children. Every day when I arrive early they are already hard at it. I think they work during the night as several of the family group have head mounted flags lights. I will make another food donation to them in the coming days.