Saturday, October 10, 2015

Wonderful New Gallery To Submit To

Found a wonderful new gallery I will submit work to. The gallery is located in Dawson City Yukon, "The Klondike Institute of Art and Culture". I always wanted to go up North, this might be my chance.

I plan on submitting work from 4 series, maybe they will like one of these.

1) "Families of the Dump"
2) "My Fathers Last Days"
3) "Thai Sex Worker" (the 8x10 neg photos on white backgrounds)
4) "Klong Toey Slum"

I hope the gallery jury is interested in non landscape styles of work and will show Social Documentary Photography. So often it is hard to get documentary work exhibited. Most galleries (especially commercial places) only want safe, saleable and non controversial works (landscapes, still life's). The photos I have showing now in Rosebud worked so well, why not in Dawson City?
Gallery Walk Through, In Rosebud

I need to get all 4 of these submissions out to the gallery before I depart for Thai. On my return I will have new photo series to submit, they should probably be ready around May/June of 2016.

Here is my artist statement for the first submission:

----------

“The Families of the Dump”

No one wants to live with garbage but forty Burmese families call the Mae Sot (Thailand) municipal garbage dump home. They are refugees both economic and political who have escaped the chaos of Burma for the semi illegal sanctuary of Thailand. The dump provides a way for the families to earn a living; they can scavenge for recyclables and make a daily income. Young children to the elderly dig through the waste, looking for anything of value. Their survival each and every day is choreographed with the arriving garbage trucks.

I made these images  in May and November of 2013. My hope was to give a voice to these forgotten people. I wanted to tell their story, to raise awareness and to document. I threw myself into that world, lived, spoke, and ate with the people I met. My emotional response to their lives, what I saw heard and felt lead to these photographs.

Thank you for considering the work.

Gerry

----------

Here is a link to the gallery I mentioned. Make your own submissions, they seem like nice people.