Sunday, October 4, 2015

Day 2 In Jasper

The day started out overcast but has now moved to rainy, a light wind and cooler temps. Am
sitting in my camper van drinking a cup of tea and munching on some fudge. Sally Mann’s
autobiography “Hold Still” in my hand, what a fascinating read. Am reading about her current wet plate work that has a social documentary story line. She is telling the story about photographing
the area of the Tallahatchie River where 14 Emmett Hill was murdered during the African American civil rights period in America.

I love the feel of wet plate imagery, especially when those images have a social documentary
focus. You feel by viewing the work you are part of history. The shot of where Emmet Hill’s
body was found is especially eery. Maybe when I eventually get round to doing wet plate photos I can incorporate some photos with Canadian historical social documentary connections.