Monday, October 5, 2015

Cutting Down, Trip Preparation

Am starting to do final cut down and packing for the trip. My main focus has to be on my 5x7 gear so that is the way I am going.

My one check in bag will have:
- My hardshell Samsonite bag
- Linhoff 5x7
- 10 film holders
- Gitzo Tripod
- Manfrotto Head

Weighs in at a total of around 40lbs. I still need to add in 2-5 holders, the reflector and the changing tent (maybe the 5x7-8x10 Harrison tent not the 4x5 which I have temporarily misplaced). Throw in a few light clothes and my cheap lightweight rubber boots (which I will not bring back) and I should be around the max 50-52lbs (they usually give you a couple of extra pounds).

I will not take the small Rolleiflex tripod. which is my latest cut. The Rollei is more of a fun camera this trip, not the most important tool in the arsenal.

In my carry on bags, I need to take:

- Rolleiflex F (maybe another cut)
- Leica M6 with 35mm f1.4
- Leica R6 with 24mm f2.8
- Canon 1/2 frame camera? (maybe another cut)
- 210mm f 5.6 (5x7)
- 120mm f8 (5x7)
- 400 or so sheets 5x7 Tri-x
- 40 or so rolls of 120mm Tri-x (maybe another cut)
- 70 or so rolls of 35mm Tri-x

Hmm, where do I put my clothing? I am trying to limit myself to 3 bags. A 50lb carry on, a small check in bag on wheels and then probably a small backpack or camera bag.

If worse comes to worse I might have to cut the Rollieflex with the 120mm film. Would hate to do that, as I know I can make good photos with it, but this might happen.

Update* I purchased my rubber boots from Army & Navy online today. The cost was $13.38 CAD, I will pick them up at the nearby store. Not a bad deal, I should have ordered them earlier but I think it should be OK as I still have a fair amount of time before I depart. The boots will be going on a one way trip, I will donate them to some man at the dump before I leave.

Update**
- Get new 10 year passport, check!
- Tourist visa, check!
- Rubber boots, check!
- Clean suitcases, start packing and weighing bags, check!
- Get outdated 5x7 film ready, check!
- Test 2-5x7 lens, check!
- Test newly repaired Rolleiflex, check!
- Test new used R6 body 24mm lens, check!
- Photocopy passport, check!
- Apply for travel grant from EAC, check!
- Inform banks of ATM card use in Asia (still need to do).

Things are coming together nicely!!