Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Back In Sex Tourist World

My first day back in Bangkok with not much to do at night I visited some sex tourism areas. I had not visited the bars since 2012 when I did the last of the sex workers on white photos. It was interesting to be back in that world again thou I doubt I could be there day in and day out like when I was shooting that scene heavily in1999 and 2003.

Many things were the same but there were also many differences. African girls are now quite common, one with red hair followed me for a bit looking for a customer. There was also a section
of African men asking if I needed help (not sex workers), I have heard from local sources the Africans on the streets of Bangkok cannot be trusted, I talked to a few oft those guys and faced no problems.

One thing I doubt very unusual was muslim sex workers complete with hijab head scarfs. I have never scene muslim sex workers in the Bangkok tourist scene before, but I was told it is now more common.

One night back was enough for me, looking forward to shooting in Kloing Toey slum tomorrow. I will try photographing in the slum, Muay Thai boxing gym, migrant workers and look for the people under the freeway (shot them in 2013). These people, these subjects I enjoy much more than the world of the bars. There is more honesty, more truth, more kindness. The land of sex tourism is so harsh and jaded I can only take it in small doses now.