Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Email: Swedish TV Show Clip Usage Update

Well I got a 2nd email from the Swedish company Eyeworks TV about the usage of some footage I shot for my dump exhibition show video. After getting the original message I sent out emails for help to various friends and professional photographers I know. I asked for advice, suggestions etc. I have no experience at all with this sort of thing. To a man they all told me I should ask for some money for the clips use. My friends also advised me to ask a number of questions, which I did. Here is today's reply email minus the EYEWORKS TV representatives name.
---------------------
Hi,
Sorry, I have been very busy. We would like to use just a few seconds (About 4 seconds) of your clip. The series is A drama-comedy series, and the context your clip will be shown is in a comedy-bit where they are critical against the current government. 

This clip is in one of the episodes which will air on a online platform this spring. 

Hope i answered all of you questions now. Please send me how much you would like us to pay for this. 

best regards!
---------------------
In the email I am asked what I would like them to pay? Any idea? I have none! So I wrote back that I would trust them to pay me the market value for the 4 seconds of video, whatever they thought was fair. I also told them I plan to donate some of the money back to the families who live and work in the dump.

The timing of this thing is working out great. I am flying back to Thailand, I will be with the families again very soon and I am going to get a check that I can use for donations. Who said documentary photographs do not work? Who says photography has no power? Those that told me so were simply wrong! Vent over !!! : ))

Here is a link to the Swedish TV company:

Here is a link to the video they want 4 seconds from  (still unsure what exact part they want):