Sunday, September 6, 2015

On To Cool Tone Ilford Fibre

I was not terribly happy with the dried look of the Ultrafine Silver Eagle prints from yesterday (to muddy and dark). I like Ultrafine for my darkroom workshops as it is a cheaper paper both in RC and FB. I can make a bit more profit working with a cheaper paper. For student use using Ultrafine paper in workshops is acceptable. I doubt I will be ordering any more 16x20 Silver Eagle paper for personal printing as I prefer the look of other papers like the Ilford, Bergger and Oriental Seagull. I will continue ordering Ultrafine papers in both RC and FB in the 8x10 and 11x14 sizes for my workshop students.

I understand the dad staring-hand negative pretty well now so will change over to the Ilford cool tone paper (found my box) for todays printing session. I need to do some tests to figure out the exposures but the burning/dodging styles should be very similar. I should have some acceptable results in a few hours of work. It will be interesting to see the differences between the 2 papers. I especially want to see how different the high contrast 130 magenta filter looks on Ilford cool tone fibre.