Thursday, September 24, 2015

More 5x7?

Been thinking of late of shooting the 5x7 more this trip, and 120 and 35mm less. I think my favourite, most difficult to view and challenging neg from the Rosebud show is the one made of dad 2 days before he passed. I printed this photograph last after I had already thought I had finished work for the show. Sometimes the extra effort you make pays off, hard work is usually a good thing. By working a bit harder at the end I think I was able to show the best photo in this dual exhibition. If I had been lazy and not done the work, the photo would not be a strong part of the exhibition in Rosebud right now.

Dad, Linhof 5x7 120mm lens, printed on durst condenser enlarger at high contrast
This photograph was made with the 5x7 Linhof and 120mm Nikon f8 (wide angle) lens. I feel doing portraits using this wider than normal lens could be very effective. Many photographers will not use wider lens for portraits but I think they can be a very important tool. The distortion and shape changing that goes on can effectively tell a story in a more unique, visually persuasive way. Taking portraits is not about making your subjects look beautiful, portraits should about telling an important human truth.

I am also quite excited about the possibilities Jack's donated 5x7 enlarger give me. Now that I have a top end condenser 5x7 machine, I want to use it for all it is worth. The added sharpness (my perception only?), the added contrast, the fact I can make larger prints is all very tantalizing.

I want to shoot more 5x7 this coming trip, maybe instead of 400 sheets I could take and shoot 500 or even 600. I have such a hard time putting down my 35s thou, love those cameras and the grain you get from them when shooting Tri-x. Now I also have the Rolleis that I want to try as well. Damn!! Too many ways of seeing, too many photos I want to make. 7 weeks is not enough time to get everything done I want to get done.

My problem is I have an insatiable curiosity to try new things and make photos in new ways. I want to do everything all the time. Photography has so many  different cameras, different looks, different techniques. I want to do them all, now, tomorrow and the next day. I am constantly switching off to something new, often times not completing what I started before. The way I see is always changing, always adapting, blurring and then refocusing.

Maybe If I concentrated more on one or 2 types, styles, whatever you want to call it. My work would improve, the power of the message becoming more enhanced and effective. Maybe by shooting more 5x7 this coming trip, I can tell the stories of the "Families of the Dump" and "Forgotten Laughter" more powerfully.