Monday, September 21, 2015

Mass Appeal Opening Night

September 18
Went to the opening night for the dinner theatre play “Mass Appeal” this is an evening I will remember for a very long time. The buffet meal was great, I even ate lamb (dad could never eat lamb). I ended up having 3 plates of food as well as desert. Lamb, chicken, fish, lasagna, great potatoes, snow crab, mussels and great salads. There was lots of great food to choose from. The only thing I had to pay for was a refillable ice tea ($2), as the meal and play were complimentary (my artist fee).

I really enjoyed the play, it was 2 hours long but held my attention the whole time. It was a story of how to men, one an idealistic up and coming priest (deacon) and one a veteran priest worn down by the compromises he has made. They both find redemption because of there relationship, learning and growing from each other. Both performances were strong especially the one given by the actor playing the older priest John I.

At the end of the evening I had a chance at the post opening night gala (more free food) to meet the director, and the 2 leads. I had long talk with the director Paul 333, and another good conversation with the lead actor John I. I also spoke briefly to younger lead actor, a 4th year Rosebud school of the arts student Cabeot J.

Overall it was very memorable night that I will keep with me for years to come. To be surrounded by artistic people is always joyful and a great learning opportunity. One of the conversations tonight was how art makes things BIGGER than they actually are, and how by doing that you can communicate messages in exciting and important ways. You can make something larger than life (what I hope to do with the work on dad and in the dump), and how it can have meaning that pushes it beyond what it started out to be. Through art, artists can make everything so much BIGGER and give it more power and importance.