Monday, September 21, 2015

Lots Of Feedback, Lots Of Talk, Lots of Buzz!

September 18
Gosh I was getting lots of feedback on the work tonight. People here have been reacting very positively to the photography. And even if they are a bit put off by it they are still reacting. The worst thing that you can create as an artist is indifference. They see your stuff and think “Who Cares?” it draws no reaction!

There are posters for the show all around town (even in the washrooms), there were place cards in front of the gallery and in front of the Rosebud Opera house. I heard servers at the buffet promoting the photos (“There are some amazing photographs at the gallery”). I heard people at the intermission talking amongst themselves (“Did you see the photos at the gallery? Amazing, so depressing, hard to believe that world exists.”) I heard from one of the actors in the show (“I have been hearing good things about the photographs”). There were a number of stunned surprised moments when people found out I was the one who made the pictures, followed by lots and lots of questions. 

Tomorrow is my day of talking non stop about dad and the families of the dump but today I did plenty of that also. I spoke to five people extensively about my father, about his last days and also about the dump. This is turning into a great experience. I might have been joking about Rosebud at times in the past, saying it was not New York or London etc but in some ways this place is so much better. The people here are so friendly, the quality of everything is first rate. This place is a real creative diamond in the wheat fields of Southern Alberta. Amazing people here are doing amazing things, I am honoured and proud to be part of it even in my little way.

Rosebud is GREAT!

Tonight was a wonderful time, great food, great entertainment, that made you think. Tomorrow I will spend 8 or so hours at the gallery telling stories and showing off some gear and video. Lots more to come, stay tuned!

Update* I heard later from one of the volunteers than in the 18+ years they had been working in the gallery, they had never had a show like mine. I guess it is a good thing to be different sometime, at least people take notice. Sometimes a gallery moving in a new direction is a good thing also.

I got a lot of the never seen that here talk from the many different folks I met over the week. Lots of "Wow this is, strong, different, new, powerful, moving, challenging, emotional etc" comments. I think some people were turned off but most really liked the challenge and change the exhibition presented.

Thanks Valerie, Heather and the people of Rosebud for being brave enough to exhibit my photographs.