Monday, September 21, 2015

Imagery Too Strong?

September 15 
There is some question about some of the dad photos being too strong, too traumatic for people to view, especially the children. There was concern expressed by a couple non curatorial people. Not sure what will happen there. I told them to let me know what worried them and I could remove those prints and put up SAFER images. It will dilute the show, dilute dads experience, dilute the overall power of everything. Still it their gallery with their people so I have to allow for that, I cannot be too dogmatic, too full of my artistic arty farty rights and meanings. I already self pulled one image they thought was too explicit (the dad pain photograph), they said it might give the children nightmares. Will see what happens, their is one other photo that I like a lot and I think is important the photo of dad two days before he died, hopefully that image will not be pulled as well. Have felt in that photo dad is looking at his life beyond this one.

Update: There were no images pulled, the gallery went ahead with all the photos I chose to show. I self pulled the pain photograph, that was my choice.