Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Got The New/Used Leica R Gear

Got my Leica R gear today, the box via USPS-Canada Post showed up at my front door with an unfortunate charge of $66 CAD , for handling and taxes (sometimes you get dinged!). The package included the following:

- Leica R6 body
- Leica R4s body
- Leica 35mm f2.8 R lens
- Leica 28-79 f3.5-4.5 R lens

On first inspection and cleaning everything looks very nice. The lens especially are in good shape. The focusing is smooth and fluid, not like my 24mm and 60mm R lens. I will not have to send these 2 in for CLAs. I cleaned the glass, added filters, a new Hoya 55mm and a nice used B+W 60mm (had it in my filters box, did not know it was there). I also was able to find a 55mm metal hood I can use with the 35mm lens, there might be a tiny bit of vignetting.

The 2 bodies look nice but not as mintish as the lens. The R6 body has a bit of wear on it but seems to function properly. I got the meter working but need new batteries for it. The R4s body which I do not know how to operate seems in good shape. I will print up the R4s manual and read up on it next week.

Overall I am quite pleased, especially with the beautiful lens and the smooth easy focusing. The two main reasons I bought the gear, the R6 body and the 35mm f2.8 should work very well together. I have that camera lens combination in my bag now and am going to run a bit of film through it these next few days. I might take this R6 body (have 3 to choose from) with me to Asia, not sure about the 35mm f2.8. I will probably use the 24mm f2.8 to use with the body.

Anyway, I am quite happy with today's gear arrival. I can use the R4s body and zoom 28-70 lens (got this combo basically for free) in dangerous locals and use the nicer equipment the R6 body and 35mm lens for my main shooting. Getting a Leica camera body and lens free has got to be a good dealy.

Update* Oops, just discovered the 35mm lens has a built in lens hood! Did not notice it at first, as it was slid back into the lens body. I can now toss the 55mm metal hood I attached that might have caused vignetting. Got to love that! Nice! Leica sure does design their gear beautifully! I have the same style feature on my damaged 50mm f1.4 M lens.

My new/used Leica 4s with 28mm-70mm f3.5-4.5 R lens version II lens and Leica R6 with 35mm f2.8 R lens 4th version