Sunday, September 27, 2015

Cargo Trailer For Wet Plate Darkroom

Am getting inspired by the driving across Canada doing wet plate idea. I would use a 16x20 or even a 20x24 camera. To do wet plate collodion effectively having a darkroom trailer like the one in this video would be ideal.

Chris Honeysett wet plate darkroom trailer (40 second mark of video).
Wet Plate Trailer Darkroom

Here is a local trailer going for $5993 CAD. Probably too big and heavy to pull behind my old van as it weighs 2200lbs. If I got a single axel smaller version trailer this idea might work. I would need something with good interior height so I could stand to work . I would also need the single rear door style ramp for pushing out my wheeled - carted ULF camera and gear and the shooting location.

A side effect of having the trailer is that I could eventually give wet plate collodion workshops in the field. Those workshops might eventually pay for the purchase and darkroom upgrades cost to the trailer. I already have 2 potential students interested in learning the process. Maybe I could do 1 day workshops of lets say 3-5 students at $500 a pop. 3 or 4 of those style workshops and everything is pretty much paid for.

2200lbs, interior height 6 feet 6 inches, 7 feet wide, 16 feet long