Sunday, September 13, 2015

First Person Video?

Last night I came up with an idea to do better more interesting videos. I want to try mounting my small digital photo-video camera to my film cameras. I bought two variations of these hot shoe tripod mount devices from China. They should allow me to mount the digi-video camera to my Linfhof-Rolleiflex and even Leica cameras.

The idea is mostly for my 5x7 work, I can mount the video camera directly to the top of my Linhof and run it while I am shooting my portraits. Later on I can make up some videos of the creative process. A first person in your face perspective. I would not do this all the time but now and again to have the video might work out well. I could post the videos on my YouTube and Vimeo channels and also use the footage in my exhibitions.

My last show video from "Families of the Dump" was a huge hit at the Exposure photography festival, I also expect it to be popular in Rosebud. Why not make more of these things? Why not make an effort to involve the viewer not only with the still imagery but with video footage. Heck even weird shit comes out of having moving footage like the Swedish TV show film rights request that I am currently working on. Having extra video has got to be a good thingy.
"Families of the Dump" Exhibition Video

Making good quality in your face videos seems like a winner to me. I will make more of these short films this coming trip and on my future trips. If the still work eventually gains some importance, there might also be an historical-documentary importance to having the video. I wish I had shot video for my sex worker on white photos, but I did not. I do not want to make the same mistake again.

Note* Hopefully 1 of the 2 camera attachment gizmos I ordered arrive from China in time for my trip!

Hot shoe camera attachment gizmo, version #2