Thursday, September 10, 2015

Link: "Examples: The Making Of 40 Photographs"

Brought Ansel Adams book "Examples" to work tonight for a bit of inspiration. I not a big fan of zone system landscape work as it tends to all sort of look the same after a while. Everyone and their sister does who is an amateur photographer does zone b/w landscape, if you do a search on google you end up with like a million different photogs. I think many people are afraid to confront or be involved with real folk especially strangers so photographing a tree is personally easier, less stressful for them to do.

Even thou I find most landscape phtography boring being out in nature is beautiful and it is a good place to practise your craft. I can work with my large format 5x7 camera and 2 lens in peace and serenity without the pressures and difficulties of photographing people in extremely harsh environments like the Mae Sot garbage dump or Klong Toey slum in Bangkok. Being in nature is relaxing and fun which helps compensates for the rather trite, boring photographs that are produced. It simply feels good to be outside next to a mountain or a stream making pictures, the creative results are secondary and of little importance.

Adams book "Examples" (see link) is a great how to work on pre-visualization, placing zones etc. You get the feeling and understanding of why he did what did and what he was trying to say. It is a must have read for anyone joining the group of millions of zone b/w photogs.

I am looking forward to just being out in nature again with my 5x7, testing my lens, my holders and working on becoming more fluid in use of the camera and its movements. Now is the time to make mistakes not later when I am in the dump or elsewhere making important, meaningful, hopefully unique portraits.
"Examples:The Making of 40 Photographs"