Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Joys Of Using A Condenser Enlarger.

A condenser enlarger print has a very special look to it. There is a hard edge and sharpness to the grain I cannot capture with a diffusion type machine. I have found that with all my 35mm work the Durst 4x5 1200 enlarger with condenser head works best. Changing out the filters by hand can get a bit tedious but the look of the grain, and the harsher feel and contrast make up for any filter worries. In the future I might also do all my 120mm and 4x5 printing in the 1200.

I am looking forward to printing the "Forgotten Laughter" series 5x7 portraits in my other condenser enlarger a 5x7 Durst 138S. I got both the 1200 and 138S free from my friend Jack. These things are such are such great tools, I will be using these things the rest of my life. I hope on my death I can donate them to another eager beaver darkroom type to use for another 30 or 40 years. I want to hold off on these machines becoming landfill for as long as possible. Durst made such high quality enlargers, they last forever. When you lock them down, when you focus them they stay locked down and focused. If had a choice of keeping any two of my current darkroom enlargers it would be the Durst 1200 4x5 and the Durst 184 8x10. Truly beautiful tools that are a joy to use. The Durst's even top my old beloved Saunders LPL with multigrade head.

Note* The brighter light on the Durst 1200 helps me deal with my dense negs. I burn my highlights for shorter periods of time because of the brighter light source.